Progress report 04/2022 - I made it!


It finally happened. After many months of hard work, I finished writing Pain. Last autumn I took a long break, aiming at getting back to work "when the sunn will shine again". And so I did. But I didn't expected that I will be able to finish everything I have left to do within nine days!

The only thing to do is the intro adventure - although I've included d66 adventure hooks, the setting is so unusual that I feel that without an introductory scenario it may be hard to get accustomed with the game. But that's what the playtests (some with totally fresh players, without any previous TTRPG experience!) will show me.

So, here are some numbers:

  • The manuscript has 251 A5-sized pages. There is no final decision about the page format yet - I want the game to be printed on thick, great quality paper. And I'm abit afraid that 300-page long, medium-sized rulebook wouldn't stay open. It has to be decided - but later.
  • The manuscript contains just over 58000 words. I've never written that much text in English for one project before. It was a great but very demanding experience. And it taught me alot. Now I must save a lot of money for the editing and proofreading!
  • The game contains some random tables. About twenty five. Two of them have 100 entries and one has 216 (d666). Oh, and that's without about 70 tables of Emblems. And without 28 tables of monsters' attitude. And 15 PC background traits (Chris McDowall, thank you for Bastionland - it's a tremendously inspiring piece of work)
  • Twenty eight monsters. Nothing generic. I've put much effort to have really unique, interesting and gameable creatures in the book. 
  • Twenty spells. This is much more science-fantasy than science-fiction. Spell-casting mechanics is neither Vancian nor mana-based. You will see!

And not it's time for some serious playtesting. And making tons of artwork.

If you have any questions - feel free to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment